Sunday, July 29, 2012

has your hair gone brassy? do not fret -- just use kool-aid!

hey all!
ever since i lightened my hair to a sort of lilly aldridge-esque ombre, i have noticed that my hair has needed quite a bit of extra maintainence to keep it healthy-looking and strong. i've doubled up on my hair treatments, gone sans-heat for months, and i take extra special care to look at the ingredients that are in my shampoos and conditioners. but i've been having one problem that many girls with blonde hair and/or highlights face: my lovely, beachy locks have gone brassy!
perhaps you have never heard of the term "brassy" in regards to hair. essentially, it is when the minerals in your water, the external elements (sun, wind, etc.), or poor hair care has given your locks an unflattering reddish-orange tinge.
just keep calm and remember that it happens to the best of us, my friends. to fix this sort of mishap you can take one of three routes: you can go out and buy a purple-toned shampoo and conditioner from online or at any beauty supply store (most expensive option), you can buy packets of purple toner to put in to your shampoo and conditioner (middle-of-the-road option), or you can do what i do and buy a packet of grape kool-aid and sprinkle a bit in to your shampoo and condioner (least expensive option, as well as my personal favorite.) it works just as well as the first two, makes for a great quick fix, and it doesn't dye your hair purple (i promise!)
the reason why you're going to want purple is simple: blue/purple tones are opposite of the color spectrum than red/orange/yellow -- so the grape kool-aid will offset those brassy tones. simply sprinkle a bit of the stuff in your shampoo and wash and usual, and do the same thing with your conditioner as well -- but leave it in your hair for atleast five minutes. you can do this as often as you need to.

hope all is well in your corner of the world!

23 comments:

  1. Awesome idea, I love your DIY tips! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you Americans :)!! what on earth is kool-aid!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT. you don't have kool aid??? it's pretty much powdered/flavored sugar that you put into water and it makes a really yummy drink -- kind of like tang or something (and don't tell me you guys don't have tang over there!!!)

      Delete
    2. Hi girls, if you are looking for kool aid in UK they do sell them in most Tesco with in London.

      Delete
  3. Great tip! Never heard of it before :)

    HippieChicPao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, it's one of my favorite weird tips!

      Delete
  4. wow I have never heard of using this as a toner.. what an awesome idea! My ends are quite coppery but I quite like it with my base colour. My biggest problem is since bleaching the ends it gets knotty soo easily arghh!

    Oh and thanks so much for stopping by and commenting, it made my day! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i feel your pain -- i have the same problem with gnarly ends! that's the only problem with having ombre hair :(
      i find that putting an egg/olive oil mask on my ends one a week really helps though!

      Delete
  5. WHAT AN AMAZING Trick or tip!! :D Yeah I ombred my hair a little while ago and the ends of my hair are sooo dry!
    WOW i dont know what to say I just LOVE your blog! I found it know cause someone had your button on their page so I checked it out! and now im proud to call my self your newest follower! :D
    Sofia x
    http://somethingaboutsophia.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh thank you SO much miss lady -- that means a lot to me! :)

      Delete
    2. No problemo! Also I have just nominated you for the Liebster Award! http://somethingaboutsophia.blogspot.ie/2012/07/i-won-awardliebster-award.html :D

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your hair tips! My hair is the complete opposite from yours' but nonetheless the tips seem to be working! Right now Im lightening my hair naturally with the cinnamon & honey you've mentioned in an earlier blog posting.
    A great cheapie conditioner is TRESemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner btw!

    --JellyBean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you miss lovely :)
      let me know how the honey + cinnemon lightening goes -- i would LOVE to hear other people's thoughts!
      thanks for the tip on the conditioner my dear :) i was just in walgreens today and i looked for it, but didn't find it :(

      Delete
  7. Heyy, I just nominated you for the Leibster award! :) all the info is in this post on my blog :)
    http://porcelaineleanor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/leibster-blog-award.html
    Eleanor x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Award on my blog :) You can take a look at the link below! Hope your okay lovely, you haven’t posted for a while. Make sure you relax and don’t work too hard!

    http://www.charlottesweb-photography.com/2012/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems like quite a few other people have nominated you as well but...
    Hi, I love reading your blog, and I've nominated you for the Liebster Award :) the rules and details are on my blog :)

    http://lovesmilesandbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. is this really effective? i have naturally black hair & have recently died it light brown. but, the outcome of it came out really brassy red/orange. thanks for the tips! (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I dyed my hair yesterday and it is brassy...:/ Ive heard of putting it in water and letting you hair soak for like 1min. but then ive heard of putting it into conditioner. What have you tried?>TIA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...